The British Council / Trinity College London TYLEC is an in-service course designed to help qualified English language teachers better understand the needs of their young learners (7-13 years old.) The course was designed by the British Council Spain’s Madrid teaching centres together with Trinity College London.
TYLEC courses are available exclusively through British Council teaching centres, and are validated and moderated by Trinity. Since 2009, TYLEC courses have been run in Spain, Korea, Romania, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Colombia, Ukraine, Sri Lanka, Mexico, Taipei, Venezuela, Portugal and Greece, with well over 400 teachers receiving the qualification and an almost 100% pass rate.
Input / Workshop sessions are designed to build Course Participant (CP) knowledge and confidence in areas such as
- using resources,
- classroom management
- lesson planning
- the context and theory of language teaching and learning
- over 40 hours of input and assisted lesson planning: participants complete an Action Points log to help record new ideas and try them out in class
- six hours of guided observation of experienced practitioners
- five hours of teaching practice with teachers' own classes; TYLEC tutors support with planning, visit the class and provide feedback
- CP reflections form part of their learning journal
- CPs create original class resources in the Materials Assignment which are reviewed by a visiting Trinity moderator