Edificio histórico universidad UK

The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities.  In Spain we will continue to work closely with the British Embassy in Spain, SEPIE, CRUE and Education Departments in the Autonomous Regions to ensure existing levels of collaboration and recognition of qualifications.  

1. How many Spanish students currently study at universities in the UK?

According to the latest HESA statistics there were approximately 13,000 Spanish students at UK universities.  This figure represents a 6% increase on the previous year and for the fifth consecutive year represents an increase.  

2. How is Brexit going to affect the Spanish students who want to study or who are studying in the UK?

European students who are currently studying in the UK or who begin their studies before 31 December 2020 will pay the same fees and have the same access to finance as British students. 

This access has been agreed by all UK Governments for undergraduate and postgraduate students beginning their chosen courses before December 2020 and teh conditions apply throughout the duration of their course. 

3. What will happen to Erasmus students?

The UK will continue to take part in Erasmus+ until the programme ends in 2020. This means that students and teachers will be able to take part in funded mobility programmes until the end of the 2020-2021 academic year. 

4. Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

European students already in the UK or European students who arrive in the UK before 1 January 2021 will not need a VISA to remain in the country.  If their study programmes extend beyond 31 December 2020 students should make an EU Settlement Scheme application. 


5. Will qualifications gained in UK universities be officially recognised in Spain?

Recognition of university qualifications is established in the current agreements signed within the European Higher Education Area.  These agreements have been signed by 49 countries, not all of whom belong to the EU.

The UK will continue to be part of the EHEA but note that there are likely to be changes in the process of applying for recognition. 

6. What will happen with other qualifications?

There will be no changes to the current recognition of pre-university qualifications. 


7. How will Brexit affect access to regulated professions if I hold a UK qualification?

The European Commission has stated that recognition gained for access to regulated professions before Brexit will not be affected.  

Qualifications gained before Brexit but which have not been officially recognised will be subject to the decisions made or agreements reached in individual EU member countries. In Spain there is a 5 year margin for the recognition process from the date of exit.  

Any qualifications obtained post-Brexit will be subject to the procedures put in place at individual country level.   

We recommend that you regularly check updates about Brexit, qualifications and recognition as published by the Spanish government.   

8. Why study in the UK rather than other international destinations?

The UK has the most reputable university system in Europe and the second world wide: four of our universities are ranked in the top 10 globally and 30 are amongst the top 200 (QS World University Rankings 2019).

This international recognition is based on world class research outpus, a robust system of quality control, innovative methodology and an wide offer of international degrees. 

Other key factors are the high employability rate of UK gradutes, the low levels of drop-outs as well as consistently high levels of student satisfaction.  When compared with USA, Canada, New Zealand or Australia studying in the UK offers the best value for money. 

9. How much does it cost to study in the UK?

For undergraduate programmes beginnig before the end of December 2020 and for the full duration of their programmes of study the maximum price to study at an English university is £9,250. Access to government finance for European students has also been guaranteed until 2020.

When compared with USA, Canada, New Zealand or Australia studying in the UK offers the best value for money.

10. Do I need a very high level of English to study at a UK university?

Each university decides on entry requirements. That means that the English language requirement will depend according to the course and university. That said, generally speaking a B2 or C1 level is required. You can check this information on the individual webs of each of the universities. 

11. Do I need top marks in Bachillerato to study in the UK?

One of the persisting myths about studying at a UK university is that you need to be an outstanding student to apply when in fact there are a multitude of universities and faculties with a wide range of entry requirements.  Obviously the most highly ranked and prestigious universities are more difficult to get into.  

The UK system offers various entry routes, for example some offer preparatory courses which enable students to reach the entry requirements for degree programmes, they also offer Foundation programmes or Top up degrees. 

12. Is applying complicated?

Not really! There is a central online applications process (UCAS). Just remember to apply on time (15 January)!