We build connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We are committed to ensuring that there is no unjustified discrimination in the recruitment, retention, training and development of staff on the basis of age, disability, gender including transgender, HIV/AIDS status, marital status including civil partnerships, pregnancy and maternity, political opinion, race/ethnicity, religion and belief, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, spent convictions, trade union activity or membership, work pattern, on the basis of having or not having dependants or on any other grounds which are irrelevant.
We aim to abide by and promote equality legislation. We follow both the letter and the spirit of the law in this area and try to avoid unjustified discrimination which we recognise is a barrier to equality, diversity, inclusion and human rights.
THE BRITISH COUNCIL IS COMMITTED TO:
- understanding, valuing and working with diversity to enable fair and full participation in its work and activities
- ensuring that there is no unjustified discrimination in its recruitment, selection, performance management and other processes
- promoting equality; this includes conducting equality screening and impact assessments of policies and functions and progressing diversity action plans
- treating individuals with whom we work with fairness, dignity and respect
- playing its part in removing barriers and redressing imbalances caused by inequality and unjustified discrimination.
We require all staff to ensure their behaviour is consistent with this policy. We also require that clients, customers, partners and suppliers are made aware of this policy and operate within it.
We will provide adequate and appropriate resources to implement this policy and will ensure it is communicated and understood.
We will review this global policy at least once every three years to reflect new legal and regulatory developments and promote good practice.