The British Council IELTS Award 2017 is designed to assist a high-calibre individual who has a strong motivation to develop their career and who can also demonstrate that they have the potential to contribute to society with their studies.
The successful applicant will demonstrate a commitment to networking within the IELTS community and sharing their experience with other IELTS candidates. The IELTS Award is now available in Spain and will enable the successful applicant to study in Spain or abroad on any chosen undergraduate or postgraduate programme at an institution of higher education that accepts IELTS as part of its admission requirements.
The IELTS Award is worth up to 10,000 EUROS, which will go towards the cost of tuition fees only and which will be paid directly to the institution.
- Application period: Thursday 1 December 2016 - Friday 2 June 2017
- Shortlisting: 6 - 12 June 2017
- Presentation and interview of shortlisted applicants: 19 to 23 June 2017
- Submission of acceptance letter received from relevant institution of higher education: before 30 June 2017
- Announcement of winner of IELTS Award: week of the 3 July 2017
To be eligible to apply for the IELTS Award you must:
- be aged 18 years before or on 1 August 2017
- have taken an IELTS test at a British Council centre in Spain and received an official Test Report Form (TRF) dated between 1 June 2016 and end of May 2017, issued by the British Council in Spain
- have achieved a minimum overall band score of 6.5 on the IELTS test
- be planning to enrol in a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate programme abroad in the academic year beginning in August 2017
- be planning to attend an institution of higher education that accepts IELTS as part of its admission requirements (check the official recognition list)
- be able to provide an acceptance letter from the relevant institution by 30 June 2017.
How to apply
- Take an IELTS test at a British Council authorised centre in Spain and receive an official Test Report Form (TRF) dated between 1 June 2016 and end of May 2017, issued by the British Council in Spain.
- Closed. We recommend you apply to the 'Global Study Awards' deadline 30 June.
- Applications will initially be reviewed to ensure that they meet the British Council IELTS Award eligibility criteria before being assessed by a panel of British Council/Higher Education representatives.
- Five applicants will be shortlisted based on their applications, including their personal statement.
- Shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide evidence to support their application, such as a copy of their IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) and a copy of their ID.
- The final shortlisted applicants will be invited to a British Council office in Spain to be interviewed by a panel of British Council/Higher Education experts. They will be asked to give a short presentation before being interviewed for final selection.
Frequently asked questions
How many awards are available?
One successful applicant will be selected and will receive an award of up to 10,000 EUROS to assist with his/her tuition fees.
I have a disability. Can I apply?
The IELTS Award is open to everyone.
What expenses will the award cover?
The award can only be used to cover tuition fees for one academic year, up to a maximum of 10,000 EUROS.
At which institutions of higher education can the award be used?
You can use the award at any institution of higher education in any country outside of Spain that recognises IELTS for the purposes of undergraduate or postgraduate admission requirements. You can search our worldwide list of recognising institutions.
Global IELTS recognition is growing all the time and if the institution of higher education you plan to attend is not listed, we strongly recommend you contact the institution directly for confirmation of their latest admission requirements.
Can I apply for the award if I have registered for an IELTS test but have not taken it?
No, you can only apply with your IELTS score and if your score meets the minimum eligibility requirement of an overall band 6.5, with a minimum of 6.5 in each of the four components.
Can I apply if I am waiting for an acceptance letter from my university?
Yes. Only shortlisted applicants will have to provide an acceptance letter from the university they plan to attend by 15 July 2016. This university must use IELTS scores to satisfy their English language requirements for admission.
I have a valid IELTS score. Can I apply for the award?
You can apply for the IELTS Award in Spain if you provide an IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) dated between 21 November 2015 and 21 May 2016, issued by the British Council in Spain.
I took the IELTS test at my university, not at a British Council centre. Can I apply for the award?
Yes, if the test was administered by the British Council at your school or university and you received your scores on an IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) dated between 21 November 2015 and 21 May 2016, issued and stamped by an official British Council centre in Spain.
Am I eligible to apply for the award even though I already have partial funding through another programme or loan scheme?
Yes, you are eligible. You will have to give details of other funding sources in your application. However, if you are applying to other grant authorities, you are advised to check if they allow you to receive another award.
I already have a full tuition award. Am I eligible to apply?
No, you are not eligible. If you receive an award that covers your full tuition costs, after you apply for the British Council IELTS Award, you must inform us immediately and we will no longer consider your application. If we find that you have not disclosed full details of any other awards, we reserve the right to withdraw or terminate the IELTS Award.
What are the terms and conditions of the IELTS Award?
Employees of the British Council along with their relatives (up to second degree of kinship) are excluded from the IELTS Award programme;
- People wishing to apply for the IELTS Award will need to ensure that they have their own access to the Internet. The British Council is not responsible for assisting with access to websites or for providing other technical assistance to any applicant;
- Access to the British Council website is permitted only under the terms of operation of the relevant server and the technical or other conditions and specifications of this programme;
- Applicants bear full responsibility for the complete and correct filling in, and submission of, their personal information;
- By submitting an application for the IELTS Award, applicants hereby consent to the publication of their names on British Council websites, if they are shortlisted;
- The IELTS Award is non-transferable and cannot be used by any person other than the successful candidate;
- The IELTS Award will be paid directly to the Higher Education Institution that the successful candidate will attend, subject to the British Council officially confirming his/her application status with the institution;
- The British Council will not bear any responsibility for the loss of the IELTS Award, should the organisation be unable to notify the successful candidate, due to any issues connected to his/her e-mail, including, but not limited to, technical issues;
- The British Council reserves the right to allocate or withdraw the IELTS Award at its discretion, should the successful candidate not respond to the British Council, including failure to provide the British Council with any required information and documentation by 15 July 2016. After this deadline, the responsibility of the British Council ceases;
- The successful candidate consents to appear in relevant advertisements connected to the IELTS Award and future award programmes, or to have his/her name and photo or video used for the purposes of promotion by the British Council, without receiving any remuneration;
- Participation in the IELTS Award programme entails the provision of full and unreserved consent of the applicants towards the British Council for their personal information to be registered in a file, which will be kept in accordance with Ley Orgánica 15/1999, de 13 de diciembre, de Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal as it is currently in force in Spain, and British Council Standards. The participants have the right to ask for a copy of the information the British Council holds on him/her, and the right to ask the British Council to correct any inaccurate information or delete his/her personal information, according to the specific provisions of the relevant legislation, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org ;
- The information you submit will be used to consider your eligibility and suitability for the IELTS Award and to manage the application process and the forwarding prize to the Higher Educational Institution or to the winner candidate;
- Please note that all applicants’ information will be deleted after a time period of two years;
- The decision of the awarding panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Participation in the IELTS Award programme presupposes and entails unreserved acceptance of all the terms and conditions included in this document along with the additional documents stated below.