Photography student at college in the UK

Studying at colleges

Colleges offer courses and qualifications in a wide range of vocational and academic subject with some specialising  in particular industry sectors such as art and design, catering, engineering or finance. Further and higher education colleges often have links with companies, so that students studying vocational courses can combine classroom learning with valuable work experience.  Sector partnerships also mean that much occupational training in the Uk is also carried out in colleges. 

If you are interested in applying for a place on a vocational courses should be made directly to the institution. 

Regulated vocational qualifications

Always check that a qualification is official, Carolina Jiménez, Head Higher Education.

Generally speaking the UK's qualifications are quite similar to Spanish qualifications in that a National Diploma or a BTEC 3 is roughly the equivalent of a qualification in Formacion Profesional Medio.  A level 5 qualficiation such as a Higher National Diploma or BTEC 5 can be likened to a Spanish qualification in Formación Profesional Superior.

Ofqual in the UK are responsible for the Regulated Qualifications Framework where all officially recognised in England and Nortern Ireland are listed.  In Wales you can check for official qualifications in the Credit and Qualifications Framework for Wales and in Scotland these are listed in the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework. 

Access to Degree study

Students with either British or Spanish vocational qualifications can access higher education programmes through top up programmes which colleges run in partnership with universities.
Remember that universities in the UK establish their own entry requirements and students holding regulated vocational qualifications are often awarded places on degree programmes.

Education Agents in Spain can help you apply for a vocational or degree course in the UK!