Very well organised!! It allowed us to have a significant view of all elements and action of the UK system”
Delegate, VET Study Tour
The Organización de Estados Iberoamericanos (OEI) approached the British Council to organise a study visit for delegates from Chile, Peru and Argentina in October 2013. The aim of the 4 day study visit was to gain a deeper understanding of vocational training in the UK.
This tour has also served as the first stage of sustainable collaboration between UK institutions and Latin-American counterparts. Chile and Peru have begun collaboration directly with Lewisham College as well as with British Council in their respective countries.
The study visit was part of a EUROSOCIAL programme of activity developing political engagement and supporting educational reform in nine Latin-American countries.
Thanks to the various experts involved, participants got expert briefings, practical on site visits and had plenty of networking opportunities. There was particular interest in how the skills and training courses are recognised in the UK, how national occupational standards have been developed and the concept of national occupational standards database. This really helped give a full picture of the theory and practice of the UK vocational system.
We had great feedback too!
- 100% of delegates stated that the study tour met or exceeded their expectations
- 100% of delegates thought that the study tour addressed top or current priorities for their countries and institutions
- 100% of delegates stated that they would work on an action plan to apply and execute changes in their organisation based on what they had learnt during the visit within the following month
The British Council would like to thank the UK agencies who helped make the study visit a success:
- UK Government: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- UK Commission for Employment and Skills (UKCES)
- Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual)
- National Apprenticeship Service
- The Hospitality Guild
- Federation of Awarding Bodies
- Lewisham Further Education College
For more information on study visits please contact our education team.