The British Council has more than 75 years’ experience teaching and testing English. We have helped people in more than 130 countries gain English language qualifications that help them make the most of their chances in life. That’s a lot of experience, and it means that if you take an English language test with us, you can be confident that you’ll be well looked after.
Here are just a few reasons why millions of people have taken IELTS with the British Council:
- Expert support: from videos and books to online interactive courses, you have access to the best preparation materials to help you do well in your test
- Free resources: Road to IELTS is the British Council’s popular online preparation course. When you register for an IELTS test with us you also get access to 30 hours of free training.
- Convenient dates and locations: we have more than 500 test locations in over 100 countries. This means that you have a huge range of options for where and when you can take your test. .
- Easy booking: You can book your IELTS test online and take advantage of flexible payment options in euros.
- Obtain your results quickly: You will be able to see your results online 13 days after your test date.
- Special arrangements: your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any disability or special needs that you may have. Find out more about how we can facilitate your special arrangements. Please note, you will need a medical certificate issued within the last two years at the time of registration.
Places available in Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao, Valencia and more check locations and dates here, please
IELTS and the Common European Framework
IELTS is recognized by the Council of Europe. The Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) provides a basis for the mutual recognition of language qualifications, thus facilitating educational and occupational mobility.
|IELTS score range||3.5||4.0-5.0||5.5-6.5||7.0-8.0||8.5-9.0|
|Aptis (British Council)||A2||B1||B2||C1|
|Cambridge English exams||Key
|TOEFL - iBT||57-86||87-109||110-120|
|TOEIC||≥ 385||≥ 790||≥ 1095||≥ 1345|
|Escuela Oficial de Idiomas||Cer.Nivel
|Trinity College London||ISE 0||ISE I||ISE II||ISE III||ISE IV|
On 22 May 2014, the UK Home Office issued guidance on secure English language test (SELT) providers.
IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment.