We have been made aware of fraudulent websites pretending to be the British Council IELTS registration sites. Please be advised that they are not associated with us in any form. We are also not responsible for the content available on these websites.
To ensure your details are safe, please only book your test by clicking on the registration link on the current page or on the TakeIELTS website.
Before you enter your personal details, please check that you are using our secure online registration system. You can do this by making sure the website address starts with “https://”. In addition fraudulent sites may use incorrect spellings in the website address, so check that “British Council” is spelt correctly.
If you are not sure, please use this link to book your IELTS test
The IELTS test fee is 212€.
You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
If you are not a European Union citizen and you are applying for a visa to move to or remain in the UK, there’s an IELTS test for you. Read more information about IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration for non-EU citizens.
If you are a European Union citizen you can register by following the steps below:
1 READ THE INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
Download and read Information for Candidates (PDF, 933 kb) and the Notice to Candidates (PDF, 524kb) which contain important information about the test format, the question types and the test results.
Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2 DECIDE WHICH VERSION OF THE TEST IS RIGHT FOR YOU
There are two different modules in IELTS:
IELTS Academic: usually required for educational purposes
IELTS General Training: usually required for immigration purposes.
We recommend that you check which module you require with the organisation to which you're applying.
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3 CHECK THE IELTS TEST DATES
You can check all IELTS test dates and test centres at our IELTS dates, fees and locations webpage.
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register five weeks before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive information about your test one week before your test date.
4. PREPARE YOUR DOCUMENTS FOR UPLOADING
You will need to upload the following when you register for your test:
- A copy of your identification document (your passport or EU ID card). Please note that you are not allowed to register with NIE numbers for IELTS exams in Spain.
You may only upload one file. The scan may be a jpeg, gif or png, of at most 1600 by 1600 pixels, and less than 1.5 MB. There are strict criteria for acceptance and your scanned identity document must be clearly legible and contain:
- your ID number
- your signature
- your date of birth
- your photograph
- your ID expiry date
5. REGISTER ONLINE
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 4 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration.
You can request the postage of up to five test report forms free of charge.
6. CHOOSE YOUR PAYMENT OPTIONS
The IELTS test costs 210€ until the end of December 2016 and 212€ as from 1st January 2017. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
i) Online through the online application form
ii) Via bank transfer
Download our bank details (PDF 37kb) in order to make the payment
- In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write: [IELTS / family name / city / test date] e.g. 'IELTS / Garcia / Madrid / 09Jan2014'
- Once you have made the payment, please email the bank transfer receipt to your local IELTS Test Centre.
7. COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION
If you were not able to upload your supporting documentation:
- Please send it to your local IELTS Test Centre by email.
We need to receive all documents in one calendar day of your online registration. If we do not receive documents in one day your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
8. AFTER YOU REGISTER
When your place is confirmed you will receive:
- An email confirming your registration which includes your access codes for your IELTS Candidate area.
- Through your IELTS Candidate Area you will be able to access your 30h Road to IELTS online course.
- We will send you an email one week before the test date giving you the details about your written test, speaking test date and time and information about the venue.
For more information please contact your local IELTS Test Centre.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
- If you cancel your registration within 14 calendar days, you will be entitled to a refund of your fees.
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus an administration fee no greater than 25% of the cost of the test. In this case you will have to send us a signed copy of the IELTS refund form (PDF 1mb).
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence up to 5 days after the test date. You will receive a refund of the test fee, minus an administration fee no greater than 25% of the cost of the test.
In this case you will have to send the following documents to your IELTS test centre:
- a signed copy of the IELTS refund form (PDF 1mb).
- a medical certificate* from a qualified medical practitioner, a death certificate, or a police report.
*Please note that the medical certificates must state an inability to appear for the test on the scheduled test date.
TEST DAY TRANSFERS
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Test Date Transfer Form (PDF 73kb).
- If you want to change the date of your test, within 14 calendar days from your enrolment confirmation, you will not be charged administrative fees. To do this, please complete and submit a Test Date Transfer Form (PDF 73kb)
- If you want to change the date of your test, you must notify us at least five weeks before the test date. You have to pay an administrative fee no greater than 25% of the cost of the test. In this case you will have to send us a signed copy of the Test Date Transfer Form (PDF 73kb)
IELTS test date transfers will only be processed if there are places available for the new test date.
Candidates may change the test module (Academic/General Training) but any amendment must be made prior to your test date. Candidates will be asked to fill in the IELTS Module Change Form (PDF 66 kb).
IELTS modules changes will only be processed if there are places available for the new module requested.